Saturday, April 14, 2007

Some Things Are Not Meant for Sleeping

A couple nights ago, Jen slept on this thing that looked like a settle but with a back. (A settle is a padded bench.) If you were to push a lever and pull on the bottom of the seat, it would lie flat for a bed.

I have been told if I had just called it a "futon," the above explanation would not be necessary. Be that as it may...

Even I could feel the slats of the frame beneath the mattress. She slept on it anyway. The next morning, she said her "butt and hips" were stiff and sore. As the day progressed, it spread up and into her back. This morning, it hurt her so that it was difficult to walk down the hall from her bedchamber to the sitting room.

And again I stand corrected. Apparently now it is called simply a bedroom and living room, respectively. It matters little. The intent is still the same.

Some things are not made for sleeping. It is my thought this futon is one of them. If I heard her mother correctly, she might have to sleep on one again in a couple weeks. That would not be a good thing, I think.

She has finally written some today. She did not for two days and it affected her mood in a way I did not realize it could.

Be well.

No comments: